The basic elements of steel are iron and carbon, steels with a higher carbon content are harder and more brittle, on the contrary, steels with a lower carbon content are more ductile and tough. Stainless steel is a type of steel contains iron, carbon, and at least 10.5% chromium content, the protective layer of chromium set a barrier between the iron in metal and water in the environment. There are some differences between carbon steel and stainless steel, but one is not necessarily better than the other. Every material has its pros and cons. The key is to make the steel match the work requirements. EASTERN YAORAN STEEL LIMITED can offer you the most cost-effective solution for your production needs.
1. Corrosion resistance. Carbon steel may rust and corrode when exposed to moisture, even a little amount of moisture, while stainless steel resistant to corrosion and rust because when the high chromium content in steel attaches to the oxygen, a chromium oxide layer will be generated to protect the rest of the material.
2. Strength. Carbon steel is stronger and more durable than stainless steel. Carbon steels with very low amounts of carbon may not match the tensile strengths of some stainless steels.
3. Ductility. Stainless steel is usually more ductile than carbon steel because of the higher amount of nickel. But the martensitic grade stainless steel is very brittle.
4. Appearance. Stainless steels generally have a more aesthetic appearance. Carbon steel will tarnish and rust if it is not applied with a coat or paint, but stainless steel will retain its luster even it is scratched.
5. Price. Stainless steel is usually more expensive than carbon steel because the addition of various alloying elements in stainless including chromium, nickel, manganese, and more increases the cost. Carbon steel is mainly composed of relatively cheap iron and carbon.
6. Applications. Different grades of stainless steel are widely used in the automotive industry, aircraft construction, transporting, medical uses, architecture, food, and catering industry. Carbon steels are applicable to automobile body components, pipes, bridges, architectural and structural uses, food cans, railway tracks, train wheels, gears, machinery parts and cutting tools.
Copyright © 2021 Eastern YaoRan Steel Limited